Friday, August 17, 2007

The Memory Keeper's Daughter


I think my sister bought this to read, around the time she bought Mitch Albom's books. They're along the same lines, but a touch more bittersweet. Kim Edward's first novel, by the way, and I'm going to keep an eye out for forthcoming works if this is anything to go by.

A doctor, forced to participate in delivering his wife's babies, delivers twins. However, the girl manifests with Down's Syndrome. Foreseeing a poor prognosis and anticipating his wife's grief, he sends the baby away with his nurse with instructions to leave it at a nearby hospital to be cared for.

Thats the premise. What held me till the last page was the depiction of a family dealing with an unspoken secret. Parallel descriptions of both twins bring up the question: will they meet? Ultimately the emotions surrounding loss come to the fore. Loss of opportunity, loss of loved ones, loss of purpose. Kim has managed to tie everything together, making this a very readable book, and not the emo-fest cum Dallas drama it could have been.

Or maybe I just wanted to see how the story would end.

No comments:

About Me

Down Under for the next chapter of my life!